Skilled Migrants

State nomination does not guarantee a visa grant and you must also meet all of Department of Home Affairs visa requirements. 

Once you have been nominated and received your visa invitation from Department of Home Affairs, Skilled & Business Migration has no further involvement in the visa application process. All queries about the visa application process, need to be directed to Department of Home Affairs.

The issuing and granting of all visas is the responsibility of the Department of Home Affairs.  Skilled & Business Migration does not intervene in the visa decision making process. 

Skilled & Business Migration will not, under any circumstances, appeal to the Migration Review Tribunal against a decision by Department of Home Affairs declining to grant a visa to any applicants nominated by Skilled & Business Migration.

The South Australian program year generally relates to the financial year which is from 1 July to 30 June.

Volunteer work experience isn’t considered to be skilled work experience. It must be paid skilled work experience.

If you can demonstrate that an administrative error has been made, Skilled & Business Migration may review your application.  

Inadequate documentation, not meeting state nomination requirements, unclear information, typing errors or inadvertent omission of information/document(s), are not reasons to review a decision to refuse. Please refer to the application terms and conditions

To notify us of an administrative error, submit an online enquiry via the Skilled & Business Migration portal within 14 calendar days of the refusal notification. Include your name, GSM reference number and the reasons you believe an error has occurred.

If you are a 489 visa holder, you can apply for a permanent visa - Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887) once you have met the Department of Home Affairs requirements. Further information can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

If you are a 491 visa holder, you can apply for a permanent visa – Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191) once you have met the Department of Home Affairs’ requirements. Further information can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Once you have submitted an ROI, you cannot edit your application. If you want to change the details in the ROI, please send an online enquiry requesting to withdraw your ROI application then re-submit.

There is no application fee for an ROI.

If you are currently in South Australia and your 485 visa is about to expire and you have not received an outcome of your state nomination application, you will need to submit an online enquiry through the Skilled & Business Migration portal and provide at least 10 business days’ notice for your application to be flagged for special consideration. It is important to note that Skilled & Business Migration does not guarantee faster processing.

Due to a high volume of requests, Skilled & Business Migration cannot offer priority processing to other Australian visa holders.

A ‘related’ occupation is defined as being in the same Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) Sub Major Group of your nominated occupation. That is, to the first two digits of the occupation’s ANZSCO Code.

If you are working in South Australia and you will turn 45 years of age before you can satisfy the minimum work experience requirements, we may still apply for state nomination and send an online enquiry to request priority processing.

Please provide a statement outlining your situation for consideration during assessment. This does not guarantee nomination, each application is assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Yes, you can, however, if you have more than 12 months remaining on your visa, you must provide a letter from your current employer consenting to state nomination application. If you are unable to provide a letter of support the application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

To determine the skill level of your work experience, you may wish to refer to the Australian Bureau of Statistics’ Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations website.

Acceptable work includes aged and disability care workers, personal care workers, social support workers, community support workers, welfare support workers, disability support workers. 

  • Physical care (showering, bathing, manual handling, and dressing assistance) 
  • Clinical care (redressing wounds, helping with light physiotherapy exercises or assisting with mobility instruments, medication management, working under the direction of medical staff, use of food assistance technology/feeding tubes 
  • Day to day care (transport to appointments, attending social outings, collecting prescriptions, shopping, basic preparation of meals and drinks, tidying and household chores). Day-to-day care is acceptable if undertaken in combination with physical and clinical care. · Refer to ANZSCO definition for aged and disability carers for more detail on acceptable tasks. 

Yes.  You can combine work experience from multiple employers to make up the hours required for your nominated occupation; however, all work experience must be paid and meet the skilled level for your occupation.

No.  If you are currently working in your nominated occupation, you cannot apply under the Long-Term Residents stream.  You will need to see whether you meet the requirements for other streams offered for South Australian State Nomination.

We cannot provide pre-assessment advice on your personal circumstances and eligibility for the program. Please refer to Nomination Options to learn about each of our nomination streams on offer, and apply online if you meet the requirements. 

No, you will not need to create a new EOI in SkillSelect.  Please ensure your EOI is up to date and reflects your current situation.

Your employer must have a physical presence in South Australia.  Working for an interstate employer is not regarded as eligible work experience to meet the work experience requirements.

No. The salary threshold excludes mandatory employer superannuation contributions.