Minimum nomination requirements
- Applicants must meet Home Affairs minimum requirements for age, English levels and Points, and
- Applicants must nominate an occupation eligible for a 190 or 491 nomination on the Skilled Migration Occupation List and have a valid and positive Skills Assessment for that occupation, and
- Applicants must be currently working in South Australia for at least the last 3 months in their nominated or closely related occupation, for at least 20 hours per week or 40 hours per fortnight. The work experience must be undertaken post-qualification completion and paid at the appropriate rate for the skill level.
- The following applicants do not have to meet the work experience requirement listed above:
- International graduates of South Australian education institutions who have completed a PhD or Masters by Research.
In addition to the mandatory requirements listed above, applicants who meet the following conditions will have a better chance of being invited to submit an application.
- Applicants with Proficient English overall or higher
- Applicants with at least 90 Points in your Expression of Interest (including state-nomination points)
- Applicants who are currently working in South Australia for at least the last 12 months in their nominated or closely related occupation and claiming Points for Australian work experience
- Applicants who are currently living and working in outer regional South Australia.
- Applicants who meet the critical skills listed here for Commonwealth Government’s Travel Exemption Requirements
South Australia’s 190 and 491 visa nominations are subject to a quota. South Australia reserves the right to revise nomination eligibility criteria for these visa subclasses without notice.
The Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs has identified critical sectors to support Australia’s COVID-19 public health response and economic recovery. Applicants who are nominating occupations in these sectors will be prioritised. This list of priority critical sectors may change over time.
If you meet the requirements listed above, please lodge your Expression on Interest (EOI) in SkillSelect. If you have a current EOI in SkillSelect, please ensure it is updated. All EOIs must be submission ready.
It is preferred that applicants choose ‘South Australia’ as their nominating state. However, applicants selecting ‘ANY’ state or territory or multiple states and territories (including South Australia) will be considered for nomination.
If you are living and working in outer regional South Australia, please email email@example.com to advise that your EOI has been lodged. Please include your full name, EOI ID number and the postcode where you are residing and/or working.
Your EOI will be reviewed by the Government of South Australia. If you are identified as an applicant who meets the Commonwealth and State Government critical skills, we will send you an invitation to submit an application for state nomination.
If you are invited to submit an application, you will receive an email with a unique weblink which will enable you to log into your unique application form. You will have 14 business days to complete your state nomination application from the date you are invited to apply.
For South Australia to approve your online application and make a nomination in SkillSelect you need to meet the Department of Home Affairs criteria and South Australia’s requirements. Please note:
- Your personal details in your South Australian online application must be the same as your EOI. Any discrepancies will result in nomination refusal.
- Your nominated occupation in your South Australian online application must match your nominated occupation in your EOI.
- Your South Australian online application must contain evidence of your EOI points claim, and evidence of your South Australian work experience. Please refer to the document checklist for more information.
- Missing or incorrect documentation may result in your South Australian application being refused.
- Additional documentation after submission of your South Australian application will not be accepted, unless requested.
- Any information edited in your EOI that had not been provided/included at time of submission of your South Australian application and affects your points, will not be accepted.
Your application will be assessed by South Australia within 6 to 8 weeks. Priority processing is not available, however if you have an imminent visa expiry we will make every endeavour to assess your application before your visa expiry.
South Australia reserves the right to offer a 491 provisional visa nomination for applicants otherwise eligible for a 190 visa nomination. If applying for 190 nomination, please ensure you have both visa subclasses selected in your EOI.
Prospective applicants who meet the requirements listed above and lodge an EOI are not guaranteed to be invited to submit an application. Applying for nomination does not guarantee you will receive nomination by South Australia or be granted an Australian visa. Invitation to submit an application and nomination is determined at the discretion of the Government of South Australia and is subject to quotas and Commonwealth and State priorities.
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for more information.