Are you a temporary skilled worker wanting to stay in SA?

As a temporary visa holder currently working in South Australia, you may qualify for state nomination for a 190 or 489 General Skilled Migration visa.

You can nominate an occupation on either the State Nominated Occupations or Supplementary Skilled Lists, which can be viewed here

You will also need to meet all state nomination and Department of Home Affairs requirements.

To qualify for this pathway, it is essential to have a current skills assessment and a valid English test (if required). You need to be currently working in your nominated or closely related occupation (for a minimum 20 hours per week) in South Australia for the:

  • last six months in a country region; OR
  • last 12 months in Greater Adelaide

Benefits of State Nomination for temporary visa holders currently working in South Australia include:

You will receive 5 points for state nomination for a 190 - Skilled Nominated visa (permanent visa) towards the Department of Home Affairs points test; 

You will receive 10 points for state nomination a 489- Skilled Regional Provisional visa towards the Department of Home Affairs points test. This is a four year provisional visa (pathway to permanency)

Provided that you have a valid skills assessment, you can access any occupation on the State Nominated Occupation List (including those listed as "Special Conditions") or the Supplementary Skilled List. If you meet these additional requirements, you can also access the Supplementary Skilled List or special conditions occupations.  

If you are currently working in a skilled occupation in South Australia (minimum 20 hours a week), you only need to meet the minimum Department of Home Affairs requirement of competent English (unless required by your skills assessing authority or registration body).

If you are a passport holder or citizen of the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada or New Zealand, you don’t need to provide an English test result.

190 and 489 visa holders only need to pay local school fees if their children are enrolled in a public school in South Australia.