Improve your employment prospects in South Australia by having your overseas qualifications assessed.
- Employers understand the educational level of your overseas qualification comparable to the Australian Qualifications Framework.
- Help employers or Human Resource practitioners seeking to determine your wage/award level.
- Assist you if you are seeking career progression.
There is no fee charged for the assessment.
To be eligible you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Live or work in South Australia, and
- Are a citizen, permanent resident, or a temporary resident with work rights, and
- Have completed a higher education or technical/vocational education qualification overseas.
- Complete an online application as per the terms and conditions listed on this website
Before you apply
1. Determine the reason why you need an assessment. Assessments are for general employment purposes. You do not need an Overseas Qualification Recognition for the following reasons:
- Study credit. The assessment will not compare qualifications by subject, study area or competency standards. If you require an assessment for study purposes the institution concerned will be able to determine the academic status of the qualification for admission to a course of study at an Australian tertiary institution.
- Migration. Skills assessing authorities for migration are listed on the occupation page.
- Occupation registration or licensing. Professional and occupational standing of a qualification is a matter for the appropriate Australian professional body, registration or licensing authority to determine.
2. Qualifications we are unable to assess:
- qualifications less than 1 semester or 6 months of full-time study
- trade qualifications
- school qualifications
- incomplete qualifications
- single subjects
- work experience
- English language skills
- Australian qualifications.
3. Review and prepare your supporting documents using the Overseas Qualification Recognition Document Checklist.
Once you have collated all the information detailed in this checklist, you will need to prepare your documents as PDF so that they can be attached to your application through the online application system.
How to apply
- Go to the Apply website and register your account. Please select registration type ‘Skilled Migrant’
- If you are already registered, login to your account and select to apply for an Overseas Qualification Recognition (listed under Services)
- Please complete all relevant details for your application.
- If you require multiple qualifications to be assessed, you can click 'Add' at the bottom of the form prior to continuing. Ensure each qualification has been added to the grid at the bottom of the page.
- Make a declaration on submitting the application
- Track your application online by visiting the Apply website
- Check processing times which will provide an indicative timeframe for processing of Overseas Qualification Recognition applications.
Factors impacting processing times are related to application volumes, peaks, complex assessments, the need for further documentation and applications which are referral to National Office Qualifications Recognition Policy for further assessment.
- An Overseas Qualification Recognition assessment advice is an official document issued by the South Australian Government that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in Australia, based on the Australian Government Department of Education and Training (DET) assessment guidelines known as Country Education Profiles (CEPs). The CEPs utilise the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).
- Urgent Requests. You may request your application to be fast tracked in writing. All fast track requests must be evidenced with the one of the following:
- Letter from a South Australian employer requesting the equivalence of your overseas qualification. This can be for various reasons such as for award determination, or job promotion.
- A written job offer from the employer on the employer’s letterhead.
- Written evidence from an organisation that the overseas assessment is required for position selection or recruitment.
- Other extenuating circumstances, for example cannot provide qualification documents, please contact the office to discuss your options or email firstname.lastname@example.org detailing your request and reasons.